- General Assembly
- General Assembly Guidelines
- GA Minutes
- GA Minutes 04-07-12
- GA Minutes 03-31-12
- GA Minutes 03-03-12
- GA Minutes 2-25-12
- GA Minutes 02-18-12
- GA Minutes 02-11-18
- GA Minutes 02-04-12
- GA Minutes 01-28-12
- GA Minutes 01-21-12
- GA Minutes 01-14-12
- GA Minutes 01-07-12
- GA Minutes 12-31-11
- GA Minutes 12-24-11
- GA Minutes 12-17-11
- GA Minutes 12-10-11
- GA Minutes 11-26-11
- GA Minutes 11-19-11
- GA Minutes 11-05-11
- GA Minutes 10-29-11
- GA Minutes 10-22-11
- GA Minutes 10-15-11
- Rogue Valley General Assembly
- Community Calendar
Does this count as an example of the rampant capitalism that the Occupy movement has been railing against?
The Jay-Z co-founded Rocawear clothing company began selling a T-shirt Friday inspired by the populist movement, with the “Occupy Wall Street” slogan modified to read “Occupy All Streets.”
The story hit the Internet on November 11th. The very next day, Rocawear has taken all OWS apparel offline due to an uproar on Twitter and other social networks…. The have even sent out a Press Release / Statement Release.
The handsomely designed shirts — which the “99 Problems” rapper was recently spotted modeling while in the company of entrepreneur/activist/Occupy supporter Russell Simmons — run a cool $22 each.
Or perhaps not so cool, if you were expecting Rocawear to share the profits with the movement that inspired the tees.
(Though Jay-Z sold the rights to Rocawear in 2007, he retains a stake in the company and continues to be involved with it.)
A company spokesperson tells Business Insider that there are no plans to donate any of the shirts’ proceeds to Occupy Wall Street.
According to the spokesperson, the shirts will “support” the movement by raising awareness of it.
“The ‘Occupy All Streets’ T shirt was created in support of the ‘Occupy Wall Street’ movement,” the spokesperson said. “Rocawear strongly encourages all forms of constructive expression, whether it be artistic, political or social. ‘Occupy All Streets’ is our way of reminding people that there is change to be made everywhere, not just on Wall Street. At this time we have not made an official commitment to monetarily support the movement.”
Apparently, money really ain’t a thang for Jay-Z — at least when it comes to flowing it to the people who’ve inspired your product.
Could an Occupy Rocawear movement be far behind?
It’s just too rough in the ‘hood to help or donate any profits to feed protesters, or even buy them some water or anything… 99 Problems no ‘mo! (NSFW – Song Contains Strong Language)
- Jay Z’s Occupy Wall Street apparel no longer on Rocawear site – Entertainment Weekly (music-mix.ew.com)
- 99 (Percent) Problems: Occupy Wall Street Shuts Down Hubby Hov’s Attempt To Turn Their Struggles Into Profit (bossip.com)
- Jay-Z Supports, Profits Off Occupy Wall Street With New T-Shirt (spin.com)
- Is Jay-Z Trying to Profit From Occupy Wall Street? [Occupy Wall Street] (gawker.com)
- When Fashion, Hip-Hop and Politics Collide: Jay-Z’s T-Shirt Faux Pas (lapremp.wordpress.com)
- Jay-Z’s Company Sells Occupy Wall Street Shirts, Chooses Not To Give Any Money To, Y’Know, Occupy Wall Street (mediaite.com)
- Jay-Z’s Company Stands to Profit From Occupy Wall Street Movement (newsfeed.time.com)
Occupy Medford Needs Your Help!
If you would like to help us with our costs (Printing, Hosting, Etc.) You Can Donate to the Cause : Click the Button Below...Thank you!
- No upcoming events
Subscribe to Occupy Medford
- No public Twitter messages.
Live StreamsOccupy Wall Street Stream
Global Revolution Stream
Sunday, January 25, 10:13 AM